The Academic Companion Piece to The Astonishing Adventures of Lord Likely

Monday, April 23, 2007

The Lord Lords It Up On The Internet

Since putting The Astonishing Adventures of Lord Likely up on the internet some two months ago, I have been delighted to see that many people have been as excited and invigorated by these journals as I have. It seems I am not alone in my insatiable lust for history.

Today, for example, has seen two glowing reviews for the journals. Top Blog Mag, in the latest issue of their online magazine, says the diaries are, "the daftest, laugh out loud funny, wonderfully politically incorrect blogs I have ever read". I could not agree more!

Meanwhile, The Pisstakers selected Likely as their 'bonus blog' on their 'MyBlogLog Sunday' competition. They say, "This guy, sorry, gentle-man, is seriously amusing". They are quite right, of course.

It brings a lump to my throat, it really does. And, I don't mind telling you, a lump to my trousers. I really do love history, you know.

Finally, the internet super-high-way has also helped me regain contact with old friends, such as my old mucker Bill Blunt, that straight-talking, straight-shooting, striaght man; and damn fine journalist to boot. It has been a pleasure to rekindle our friendship online, and to browse his selection of fine articles. Keep it up, Bill!

- Julian Syngen-Smythe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julian
I am indeed indebted for your plug.
This blogging lark is proving to be so much fun, I wonder that I didn't start it years ago. Probably because I didn't have a PC. Or internet access. Or was just too lazy.
Having read the calumnies written about you by that scurrilous character Wabb-Nesperton, I feel I must rush to your defence.

To whom it may concern (and even to those whom it may not):
Let it be known that Bill Blunt has never for one moment doubted the veracity of Professor Julian Syngen-Smythe.
A finer individual you would be hard-placed to meet. A gentleman and a scholar of the old school, and a man whose palpable love of history is more palpable than something that is less palpable.
An individual who will stand his round as easily as he stands his ground.
The Wabb-Nasperton's of this world are mere flies in the good Professor's ointment, which they are anyway unfit to salve his calves with.
History (as so often) will be the judge. The Journals of Lord Likely are possibly the single most important historical treasure to emerge from Swindon since Gilbert O'Sullivan, and the fact that they have been rescued for posterity should be a source of wonder and delight for generations to come.

It's a brave man who accuses Bill Blunt of getting wound up about something, but I am afraid this latest smirch on your good standing has well riled me. I hope you are staying well through all of this. I know your shoulders are broad, but even the strongest man cannot fail to be wounded by negative sniping.

Nil carborundum, Julian...

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Bill. An impassioned and as powerful a defence as any man could ask for.

I find these attacks on my legitimacy as a historian frankly beguiling. Have these people forgotten my well-recieved and highly controversial paper on the reign of Queen Victoria?

Queen Victoria: Reign on Me may have shaken up the establishment, but I stand by it's claims that the Queen was into rather sordid sexual practices.

I guess you cannot make a history omlette, without breaking a few eggs. Taboo eggs.

- Julian.